Welcome to the August GSS Newsletter!
We hope you’re enjoying your summer! As always, if you’d like to share your ideas, questions, and concerns with the GSS, or if you’d just like to stop by and have a cup of coffee, please don’t hesitate to drop by our office and lounge (MBC 2205). But, remember, we currently have Summer hours. The GSS offices and lounge are open Monday – Thursday, 9 am – 4 pm. Hope to see you around!
Mental Health and Wellbeing
Hey Grads, exciting news! This month SFU Health and Counseling unveiled their new 24/7 access app and hotline (My SSP) for free mental health services. If you’re struggling with something this summer but it’s impossible for you to get in to see someone, please give this a try. We at the GSS would love to know what your experience is like using these services…
To learn more, visit: http://i.sfu.ca/BpREmp.
Announcements from the GSS
STIPENDED VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY – Speaker of Graduate Council
Please apply no later than August 1, 2018 at 11:59pm. We are still looking for qualified candidates.
The GSS is looking to appoint a Speaker of Graduate Council. The Speaker appointment is for one year and will be selected at the August 14, 2018 Council Meeting, starting at 4pm at SFU Burnaby, Maggie Benston Centre, room 2294. The speaker is expected to be available for all Council meetings, which are held on the second Tuesday of each month, from 4:00 to 6:00 pm at SFU Burnaby, Vancouver or Surrey. Council meetings are scheduled at least one semester in advance; please refer to our website for the exact location of future meetings.
- Communication, time-management, collaborative working, public and strategic speaking
Highly Desired Skills
- Knowledge of Robert’s Rules of Order (especially in a student society/association setting)
- Good knowledge of GSS’s constitution & bylaws, policies, regulations and procedures (especially as they apply to Graduate Council)
- Knowledge of GSS’s services and operations
How to apply
- Submit a short (200 words or less) statement of intent explaining your interest in and qualifications for the position no later than August 1, 2018 at 11:59pm
- Make a short presentation at the next Council meeting on Tuesday, August 14, 2018 (4:00 – 6:00 pm) at SFU Burnaby – MBC 2294
- If you have not yet attended a meeting of Graduate Council, it is suggested the you be present at the July 10, 2018 meeting (SFU Burnaby, Main Library, room 7200)
The Speaker of Graduate Council receive a $50.35 stipend for each meeting attended. If you are interested in this position, please email: Nancy Kwong, Director of Internal Relations at firstname.lastname@example.org and Pierre Cenerelli, Executive Director at pierre.cenerelli@
Academic Supervision – Volunteer Opportunity
The Graduate Student Society and Office of the Dean of Graduate Studies are co-chairing a committee with the aim of reimagining graduate student supervision at SFU over the next few years. The purpose of this work is to positively transform the graduate student supervisory experience and it is part of SFU’s new student experience initiative (more info found here: https://www.sfu.ca/vpacademic/SEI.html)
In an attempt to get graduate students from a range of supervisory experiences involved in this work we are still looking for a graduate student volunteer from a professional program who would be interested in being part of this committee.
Please email Chantal Turpin, Director of University Relations at email@example.com with your expression of interest or if you have any questions about this volunteer opportunity.
More GSS Volunteer Opportunities:
The GSS is actively seeking volunteers among our members. Volunteering is a great way to feel more connected and to build community. Here are the current opportunities:
1) We are assembling a final list of volunteers for the Fall Graduate Orientation. There are a variety of things we will need help on from giving campus tours the day of, to stuffing goodie bags in the days before. This should be a ton of fun!
If you have any further questions or are interested in any of these opportunities, please contact the Director of Student Life, Dylan Flint, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or if you’re eager to get started please fill out our volunteer sign-up form here.
Graduate Caucus Funding
Did you know that every graduate caucus gets money to spend on almost anything that benefits the grad students in your department? (See the Caucus Funding Spreadsheet for funds available to you for the rest of this fiscal year.)
Discounted Playland tickets are available using the GSS discount code. General admission and season pass
discounts for general and junior admission. This code is posted in the GSS Lounge and available by email: email@example.com.
Please note: The GSS info email is only checked during office hours.
1) Remember, Graduate Orientation is right around the corner and we still volunteers:
Email Dylan at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info!
Announcements and Events from SFU
Get Ready! SFU Mail Is Coming to Students in August 2018
Daycare at SFU: Surveying all grad students!
Sexual Violence Support