Welcome to the June GSS Newsletter!
We would love to see your faces in our GSS office and lounge (MBC 2205), so please don’t hesitate to drop by our office to share your ideas, questions, and concerns, or just to have a cup of coffee with us. And remember, we currently have Summer hours. The GSS offices and lounge are open Monday – Thursday, 9 am – 4 pm.
Mental Health Well-Being Blurb
Hey Grads, exciting news! We are going to start a mental health awareness / well-being blurb on our monthly newsletter. For this month, did you know SFU Health and Counseling facilitates free drop-in yoga? These free yoga classes are a great way to help manage your stress. If you don’t think you have time, I have personally found I work more efficiently, and I actually get more done, by allowing myself this 50 min well-being break. Yoga helps to reduce stress, and increases mental focus. This can allow you to work more effectively. So come one, give your self a break that pays dividends! The classes are held on Wednesdays and Fridays from 9:30-10:20am in the Lorne Davies Complex. For more information click here.
Announcements from the GSS
Academic Supervision – Volunteer Opportunity
The Graduate Student Society and Office of the Dean of Graduate Studies are co-chairing a committee with the aim of reimagining graduate student supervision at SFU over the next few years. The purpose of this work is to positively transform the graduate student supervisory experience and it is part of SFU’s new student experience initiative (more info found here: https://www.sfu.ca/vpacademic/SEI.html)
In an attempt to get graduate students from a range of supervisory experiences involved in this work we are still looking for a graduate student volunteer from a professional program who would be interested in being part of this committee.
Please email Chantal Turpin, Director of University Relations at email@example.com with your expression of interest or if you have any questions about this volunteer opportunity.
GSS Volunteer Opportunities
The GSS is actively seeking volunteers among our members. Volunteering is a great way to feel more connected and to build community. Here are the current opportunities:
1) In July the GSS is planning an 11th anniversary celebration, and we are looking for grad students to be apart of the event planning committee, and to help out at the event.
2) The GSS is looking for graduate students to be apart of our space working group. We are actively addressing office space concerns and we would love to here from our membership as we tackle this upcoming issue.
3) the SFU Student Experience Initiative is looking for graduate students to sit on committees and to be engaged in the process of improving the overall experience of students here at SFU. There are 8 committees each working on a range of topics ranging from building community to supervision for the 21st century. For more information on this specific opportunity click here.
4) We are assembling a list of volunteers for the Fall Graduate Orientation. There are a variety of things we will need help on from giving campus tours the day of, to stuffing goodie bags in the days before. This should be a ton of fun!
If you have any further questions or are interested in any of these opportunities, please contact the Director of Student Life, Dylan Flint at firstname.lastname@example.org, or if you’re eager to get started please fill out our volunteer sign-up form here.
Graduate Caucus Funding
Did you know that every graduate caucus gets money to spend on almost anything that benefits the grad students in your department? (See the Caucus Funding Spreadsheet for funds available to you for the rest of this fiscal year.)
Discounted Playland tickets are available using the GSS discount code. General admission and season pass
discounts for general and junior admission. This code is posted in the GSS Lounge and available by email: email@example.com.
Please note: The GSS info email is only checked during office hours.
1) In mid-late July the GSS will be celebrating our 11th anniversary. We are planning a Trivia Bash here on Burnaby Campus. More details to come…
2) Graduate Orientation is right around the corner:
Announcements and Events from SFU
Instructional Skills Workshop
For more information email Heather De Forest at firstname.lastname@example.org
Global Community Mentorship Program
Want to get more involved in the SFU community? Want to make friends and participate in social events? Want to meet people and learn about other cultures? Come and join the Global Community Mentorship Program! We are now accepting applications for becoming a mentor. You can meet new people, learn about other cultures, broaden your network, and gain leadership experience!
Find out more information on our website: https://www.sfu.ca/students/in
Apply on Myinvolvement (Job ID: 4491)
Sexual Violence Support
Announcements and Events from the Community