GSS Lounge at Burnaby
The GSS Boardroom fits up to 16 people. The boardroom has a projection screen and a large whiteboard.
The GSS Lounge capacity is about 35 people seated, 70 people standing. It has couches, chairs, small tables and a great view. The Lounge also has a projection screen. (Note: The GSS is not a licensed venue, meaning a Special Occasion License is required to host events with alcohol in that space; see instructions below.)
See the Room Booking Form and Rules (found below) for more information.
Proof of Insurance for Events
SFU (or an off-campus venue) may require that you provide proof of insurance before booking space for your event. Events hosted by Graduate Caucuses are covered under the GSS insurance policy. To obtain proof of insurance coverage, complete the Insurance Certificate Request Form and email it to the GSS Administrator: Allow at least one week (5 business days) to process insurance certificate requests.
Other Room Bookings at Burnaby, Surrey, and Vancouver
The GSS is able to book graduate students rooms for meetings and events at SFU at a discounted rate. To book a room email email@example.com with the following information:
- The date and time required
- The number of people attending
- The type of event
- If any A/V equipment is required
- If any catering equipment is required.
Planning to Host an On-Campus Event with Alcohol?
A Graduate Caucus event involving alcohol that is held on any of SFU’s campuses requires a special event liquor license (Special Occasion License), if not held in a licensed venue, such as Highland Pub. (Note: The GSS Lounge is not a licensed venue.)
Organizers wishing to serve alcohol at their event should do the following:
- Read SFU’s policy on selling, serving, and advertising liquor;
- Obtain proof of insurance coverage under the GSS policy by filling out this request form (proof of insurance takes about 2-3 business days);
- If none of the applicants for the Special Occasion License have a BC Serving It Right certificate, complete the online course to obtain at least one certificate ($35 fee); and
- Complete this form to apply for a Special Occasion License from SFU. Follow the instructions on the form for submission ($25 fee).
Allow at least three weeks for the Special Occasion License approval process.
Rules for Use
- Personal safety of all attendees at events held in GSS space is of utmost importance.
- There are no food catering restrictions for GSS space (i.e., groups do not have to use MECS catering services). Groups may use any catering service of their choice or bring their own homemade or store-bought food to their events.
- Alcohol is strictly prohibited in GSS space without a Special Occasion License. The presence of alcohol in GSS space without a license will result in an individual or group’s immediate ban from future use of GSS space.
- Do not leave the rooms attended.
- Keep noise levels at a minimum during business hours.
- Do not use GSS coffee makers, hot water pot, tea or other supplies stored in Boardroom.
- You may use the sink and dishes if needed. Wash any and all dishes used and leave in drying rack or replace on shelves.
- Clean up after use.
- Sponges are available at the sink for wiping down tables.
- All garbage and recycling must be placed in appropriate bins. If bins in the Lounge and Boardroom are of insufficient size, remove additional garbage and recycling and dispose of it in additional waste bins provided in the hallways of MBC.
- Return all furniture to original layout.
- Erase writing on white boards after use.
- Close and lock all windows and doors before leaving. Replace the key in the lock box.
- Raccoons WILL come in the Lounge overnight if the windows are not locked.
- Campus Security may specially patrol the area during booked events.
- If an emergency occurs, contact Campus Security at 788-782-3100.
- Notify the GSS immediately of any personal injury, property damage or other incident.