In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, GSS Executive Committee has compiled some resources that should be useful to our members. This list will be updated regularly.
Please note that, at this time, post-secondary institutions in BC (including SFU) will be permitted to reopen during phase 3 of BC’s Restart Plan (page 14). In other words, so long as enhanced protocols are in place (described on page 10 of this document) and transmission rates remain low or in decline, SFU will be allowed to provide a mix of online and in-class offerings in September.
The Toronto Science Policy Network has also launched a survey looking into the impacts of COVID-19 on graduate students across Canada, including implications related to working from home, health and wellness, teaching, funding, research and course requirements. The deadline for the survey is May 31.
You may also use this form to let us know about any issues you are facing because of SFU’s measures to address the COVID-19 pandemic.
Please note that the Graduate Lounge and GSS offices will remain closed indefinitely and until such time as BC’s Public Health authorities suspend current social distancing measures and SFU resumes in-person classes. All official, professional, or social events at the GSS have been suspended or will be held virtually. All online services will remain available to our members and we will do everything it can to expand our online services. GSS staff and directors will be working remotely and may be contacted during regular business hours by email.
- Emergency Grocery Card: https://sfugradsociety.ca/services/emergency-aid/
- Family Subsidy: https://sfugradsociety.ca/services/bursaries/
- Emergency COVID-19 Relief Fund: To be announced soon – please check back for updates
- Emergency Bursary for Graduate Students: Apply by May 22nd
- Grad Student FAQs (provided by Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies): http://www.sfu.ca/dean-gradstudies/news-updates/pro-d-events-jobs/covid-19-faqs-gradstudents.html
- International and USA Grad Student FAQs (provided by Student Services): http://www.sfu.ca/students/support/us-and-international-students.html
- SFU Financial Concerns and Support (provided by Student Services): http://www.sfu.ca/students/support/financial-concerns.html
- SFU is currently accepting donations for the SFU Student Urgent Response Fund: https://give.sfu.ca/covid-19-response
- Health & Counselling Services COVID Emotional Support Group for students: http://www.sfu.ca/students/health/events-and-workshops/EmotionalSupportGroup.html
- Facebook group for SFU internationals to share concerns, questions and updates relevant to the COVID-19 crisis: https://www.facebook.com/groups/212429983371267/
- Weekly information webinar – COVID-19 impact on study and work permits: https://www.facebook.com/events/198077154951446/
- Join the network to take part in collective planning and action for demanding concrete support for SFU international students: https://forms.gle/t93KmNC4mVv63Qv87
- Petition for International Students to Access Equal Rights: https://migrantrights.ca/migrantstudents/
Government support programs
- Government of Canada financial support for post-secondary students in the summer semester (May – August): https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-students-financial-aid-1.5540814
- General information about the Government of Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan, including financial support for individuals: https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/economic-response-plan.html
- Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) – available to all legal residents of Canada: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/benefits/apply-for-cerb-with-cra.html
- BC Government Financial Support (for domestic students only): https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2020AEST0018-000615?fbclid=IwAR2A8o0-fjggyUfooNqi6O92foPUIfGHzsZ5tEk24v0jeX1UhTiat9ELtXg
- COVID-19 Provincial Support and Information (general): https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/covid-19-provincial-support
- Other resources: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/employment-business/covid-19-financial-supports
- Here2Talk is a new mental-health counselling and referral service for post-secondary students offering confidential, free single-session services by app, phone or online chat. The service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week via the app, phone or web: https://here2talk.ca/