In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, GSS Executive Committee has compiled some resources that should be useful to our members. This list will be updated regularly.
Post-secondary institutions in British Columbia (including SFU) will reach phase 3 of BC’s Restart Plan in September (page 14). In other words, so long as enhanced protocols are in place (as described on page 10 of this document) and COVID-19 transmission rates remain low or in decline, SFU will be allowed to provide a mix of online and in-class offerings in the fall 2020 semester.
You may also use this form to let us know about any issues you are facing because of SFU’s measures to address the COVID-19 pandemic.
Please note that the Graduate Lounge and GSS offices will remain closed indefinitely and until such time as BC’s Public Health authorities suspend current social distancing measures and SFU resumes in-person classes. All official, professional, or social events at the GSS have been suspended or will be held exclusively virtually. Most of our services are now available online to our members and all GSS staff and directors will continue to work remotely. They may be contacted during regular business hours by email, as indicated on the staff and Executive Committee pages.
- Graduate Council has authorized extra spending in order to establish an Emergency COVID-19 Relief Fund, consisting of the following:
- Transit Subsidy: https://sfugradsociety.ca/services/bursaries/transit-subsidy-2/
- Emergency Grocery Card (extra funding): https://sfugradsociety.ca/services/emergency-aid/
- Family Subsidy (extra funding): https://sfugradsociety.ca/services/bursaries/
- Grad Student FAQs (provided by Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies): http://www.sfu.ca/dean-gradstudies/news-updates/pro-d-events-jobs/covid-19-faqs-gradstudents.html
- International and USA Grad Student FAQs (provided by Student Services): http://www.sfu.ca/students/support/us-and-international-students.html
- SFU Financial Concerns and Support (provided by Student Services): http://www.sfu.ca/students/support/financial-concerns.html
- SFU is currently accepting donations for the SFU Student Urgent Response Fund: https://give.sfu.ca/covid-19-response
- Health & Counselling Services COVID Emotional Support Group for students: http://www.sfu.ca/students/health/events-and-workshops/EmotionalSupportGroup.html
- Facebook group for SFU internationals to share concerns, questions and updates relevant to the COVID-19 crisis: https://www.facebook.com/groups/212429983371267/
- Weekly information webinar – COVID-19 impact on study and work permits: https://www.facebook.com/events/198077154951446/
- Join the network to take part in collective planning and action for demanding concrete support for SFU international students: https://forms.gle/t93KmNC4mVv63Qv87
- Petition for International Students to Access Equal Rights: https://migrantrights.ca/migrantstudents/
Government support programs
- Government of Canada financial support for post-secondary students in the summer semester (May – August): https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-students-financial-aid-1.5540814
- General information about the Government of Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan, including financial support for individuals: https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/economic-response-plan.html
- Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) – available to all legal residents of Canada: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/benefits/apply-for-cerb-with-cra.html
- BC Government Financial Support (for domestic students only): https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2020AEST0018-000615?fbclid=IwAR2A8o0-fjggyUfooNqi6O92foPUIfGHzsZ5tEk24v0jeX1UhTiat9ELtXg
- COVID-19 Provincial Support and Information (general): https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/covid-19-provincial-support
- Other resources: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/employment-business/covid-19-financial-supports
- Here2Talk is a new mental-health counseling and referral service for post-secondary students offering confidential, free single-session services by app, phone, or online chat. The service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week via the app, phone or web: https://here2talk.ca/