SFU Surrey Access Update (November 18, 2020):
- Building Access: While access to SRYC and SRYE remains open to SFU staff, faculty and students with SFU ID, both buildings will be closed between 10:30 PM and 7:30 AM.
- Team Room Access: Team rooms at both SRYC and SRYW will be closed 24/7 until further notice.
- Essential Work and Research: Those engaged in essential work and essential research (grad students, faculty, etc.) are granted after hours access. Please sign in with your SFU ID at the security desk upon arrival.
Important update (November 9, 2020): Following the new public health orders issued on Saturday, November 7 for the Fraser Health and Vancouver Coastal Health regions, SFU’s Administration has decided to move the university back to H1 from H2 on their COVID-19 impact scale. This represents a return to limiting non-essential meetings, travel to campus and gatherings, while keeping essential services, student support, research and teaching operational. During this time, it is recommended that you refrain from coming to campus if not required. If you do decide to come to an SFU Campus:
- As of November 12, all faculty, staff and students are required to conduct a daily Active Health Screening before visiting campus by using the BC Government’s COVID-19 self-assessment tool. If you answer “yes” to any question, including having just one symptom, do not come to campus and instead call 811 for medical advice.
- SFU community members and visitors must wear non-medical masks in all indoor common areas on our campuses, physically distance and follow all other safety measure directions while on campus.
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, GSS Executive Committee has compiled some resources that should be useful to our members. This list will be updated regularly. Please note that the Graduate Lounge and GSS offices will remain closed indefinitely and until such time as BC’s Public Health authorities and SFU suspend current social distancing measures. All official, professional, or social events at the GSS have been suspended or will be held exclusively virtually, but virtually all of our member services are now available online. All GSS staff and directors will continue to work remotely and may be contacted during regular business hours by email, as indicated on the staff and Executive Committee pages.
Although Post-secondary institutions in British Columbia (including SFU) reached phase 3 of BC’s Restart Plan in September (page 14), rising transmission rates mean that on-line course delivery will remain in place for the Fall 2020 semester and is likely to be extended into the Spring 2021 semester as well. A comprehensive list of all SFU courses with in-person components may be found here.
You may also use this form to let us know about any issues you are facing because of SFU’s measures to address the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Graduate Council has authorized extra spending in order to establish an Emergency COVID-19 Relief Fund, consisting of the following:
- Emergency Grocery Card: https://sfugradsociety.ca/services/emergency-aid/
- Family Subsidy (extra funding): https://sfugradsociety.ca/services/bursaries/
- Transit Subsidy (program ended.) https://sfugradsociety.ca/services/bursaries/transit-subsidy-2/
- Grad Student FAQs (provided by Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies): http://www.sfu.ca/dean-gradstudies/news-updates/pro-d-events-jobs/covid-19-faqs-gradstudents.html
- International and USA Grad Student FAQs (provided by Student Services): http://www.sfu.ca/students/support/us-and-international-students.html
- SFU Financial Concerns and Support (provided by Student Services): http://www.sfu.ca/students/support/financial-concerns.html
- SFU is currently accepting donations for the SFU Student Urgent Response Fund: https://give.sfu.ca/covid-19-response
- Health & Counselling Services COVID Emotional Support Group for students: http://www.sfu.ca/students/health/events-and-workshops/EmotionalSupportGroup.html
- Facebook group for SFU internationals to share concerns, questions and updates relevant to the COVID-19 crisis: https://www.facebook.com/groups/212429983371267/
- Join the network to take part in collective planning and action for demanding concrete support for SFU international students: https://forms.gle/t93KmNC4mVv63Qv87
- Petition for International Students to Access Equal Rights: https://migrantrights.ca/migrantstudents/
Government support programs
- General information about the Government of Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan, including financial support for individuals: https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/economic-response-plan.html
- BC Government Financial Support (for domestic students only): https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2020AEST0018-000615?fbclid=IwAR2A8o0-fjggyUfooNqi6O92foPUIfGHzsZ5tEk24v0jeX1UhTiat9ELtXg
- COVID-19 Provincial Support and Information (general): https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/covid-19-provincial-support
- Other resources: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/employment-business/covid-19-financial-supports
- Here2Talk is a new mental-health counseling and referral service for post-secondary students offering confidential, free single-session services by app, phone, or online chat. The service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week via the app, phone or web: https://here2talk.ca/