In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, GSS Executive Committee has compiled some resources that should be useful to our members. This list will be updated regularly.
Please note that the Graduate Lounge and GSS offices will remain closed indefinitely and until such time as BC’s Public Health authorities and SFU suspend current social distancing measures. All official, professional, or social events at the GSS have been suspended or will be held exclusively virtually. Most of our member services are now available online. All GSS staff and directors will continue to work remotely and may be contacted during regular business hours by email, as indicated on the staff and Executive Committee pages.
Although Post-secondary institutions in British Columbia (including SFU) reached phase 3 of BC’s Restart Plan in September (page 14), rising transmission rates mean that on-line course delivery will remain in place for the Fall 2020 semester and is likely to be extended into the Spring 2020 semester as well. A comprehensive list of all SFU courses with in-person components may be found here.
You may also use this form to let us know about any issues you are facing because of SFU’s measures to address the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Graduate Council has authorized extra spending in order to establish an Emergency COVID-19 Relief Fund, consisting of the following:
- Emergency Grocery Card: https://sfugradsociety.ca/services/emergency-aid/
- Family Subsidy (extra funding): https://sfugradsociety.ca/services/bursaries/
- Transit Subsidy (program ended.) https://sfugradsociety.ca/services/bursaries/transit-subsidy-2/
- Grad Student FAQs (provided by Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies): http://www.sfu.ca/dean-gradstudies/news-updates/pro-d-events-jobs/covid-19-faqs-gradstudents.html
- International and USA Grad Student FAQs (provided by Student Services): http://www.sfu.ca/students/support/us-and-international-students.html
- SFU Financial Concerns and Support (provided by Student Services): http://www.sfu.ca/students/support/financial-concerns.html
- SFU is currently accepting donations for the SFU Student Urgent Response Fund: https://give.sfu.ca/covid-19-response
- Health & Counselling Services COVID Emotional Support Group for students: http://www.sfu.ca/students/health/events-and-workshops/EmotionalSupportGroup.html
- Facebook group for SFU internationals to share concerns, questions and updates relevant to the COVID-19 crisis: https://www.facebook.com/groups/212429983371267/
- Join the network to take part in collective planning and action for demanding concrete support for SFU international students: https://forms.gle/t93KmNC4mVv63Qv87
- Petition for International Students to Access Equal Rights: https://migrantrights.ca/migrantstudents/
Government support programs
- General information about the Government of Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan, including financial support for individuals: https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/economic-response-plan.html
- BC Government Financial Support (for domestic students only): https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2020AEST0018-000615?fbclid=IwAR2A8o0-fjggyUfooNqi6O92foPUIfGHzsZ5tEk24v0jeX1UhTiat9ELtXg
- COVID-19 Provincial Support and Information (general): https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/covid-19-provincial-support
- Other resources: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/employment-business/covid-19-financial-supports
- Here2Talk is a new mental-health counseling and referral service for post-secondary students offering confidential, free single-session services by app, phone, or online chat. The service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week via the app, phone or web: https://here2talk.ca/