***fall 2023 update: DUE TO EXTERNAL FUNDING ISSUES, WE HAVE BEEN FORCED TO SUSPEND THE emergency grocery card program UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.***
***November 22, 2023 update: The Emergency Grocery Card program has been temporarily reopened. The program will be SUSPENDed again UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE once the current supply of cards runs out.***
The Emergency Grocery Card Program has been established by the GSS to provide limited assistance to graduate students in urgent financial need. It is not meant to replace the services offered by the university (including SFU’s bursary program for graduate students), food banks, or long-term remedies for graduate students’ financial needs.
The GSS values its non-judgmental position as the provider of this program; it is understood that graduate students’ needs for accessing this program are numerous and that the items that may be purchased with the grocery card are at the discretion of the student recipient.
Fall 2023 update: This semester, the GSS will offer two $70 electronic gift cards to qualifying graduate students as part of this program. Both gift cards will be issued at the same time.
Please note that our Emergency Grocery Cards can only be used in Canada at all Superstore and Shoppers Drug Mart locations (or participating Loblaws banner stores.)
Important to note: The GSS reserves the right to reject any application that does not meet the program terms. The GSS also reserves the right to modify this program without notice.
The GSS assumes no responsibility for lost or stolen grocery cards.
- Each eligible application will be approved for one grocery card (Fall 2023 semester – two $70 cards per eligible application).
- Graduate students can apply once a semester for this service.
- Graduate students can receive a total number of successful applications per the duration of their program: 5 for a Master’s, 7 for a Ph.D. and 2 for a Graduate Diploma program. The number of cards per successful application does not have an impact on these numbers.
- EGC cards received during Summer 2020 (May 1- Aug 31) do not count towards the above limit.
- To apply for EGCs/Quest, please use this link to access our new application form.